Competitors, spectators and volunteers alike will converge once more in South Carolina for the 2009 Sandblast Rally. Returning to the Sand Hills State Forest for the 13th year, the event continues to grow and attract an increasing number of rallyists and spectators.
- Sandblast Rally scheduled for February 7, 2009
- Cheraw, Chesterfield, Patrick are hosts to 2009 event
- Rally cars and rally motorcycles battle for top speeds in sand
The competitors have come to love this event for its special conditions. The sandy roads are unique to this event in the Atlantic Rally Cup. The local communities are also happy to have the event returning in 2009, with special events planned for Cheraw, Chesterfield and Patrick.
Sandblast Rally, sanctioned by NASA Rally Sport, is a rally racing event that takes place on closed roads throughout the Sand Hills State Forest. High horsepower all-wheel drive vehicles blast through the woods at speeds over 120 miles per hour. The two-wheel drive cars fight a very competitive battle, with driver skill coming to the forefront as they tackle the sandy roads.
Motorcycles also compete at Sandblast Rally. Like the rally cars, these motorcycles are fully street legal, registered, and insured. The bikes will be fighting for the second full-season championship and exhilarating competition is guaranteed.
Spectators for the race can designated locations throughout the forest. Information on spectator guides is available on sandblastrally.com. The event is also looking for volunteers to help marshal the race. "The marshals get a great deal", says event chairman Anders Green. "Volunteers are positioned right on the course. They'll see more of the race than I will! We try to take care of them as best we can with free event t-shirts, lunch, and an invitation to the awards banquet." Training will be available in advance for new volunteers. People who want to volunteer should register as a volunteer online or contact event director Amy Feistel at 919.434.3267, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to editors:
- Sandblast Rally is the second event of the Atlantic Rally Cup (cars) and Atlantic RallyMoto(tm) Cup (motorcycles)
- The Atlantic Rally Cup has events in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and New York
- The event is sanctioned by NASA Rally Sport
- More information is available at www.sandblastrally.com